Updated: May 4
Sustainable fashion is a popular topic at the moment and there are so many different ideas and opinions floating around so I like to hear about what different people actually do to make more sustainable fashion choices. Leave a comment or send me a message - What does sustainable fashion mean to you?
To me, sustainable fashion means having an ongoing honest conversation with myself and my community about how we can consume and create fashion in a way that has more positive impact on the environment and in our society.
It includes being more selective about my style, buying less, re-cycling and re-gifting more, supporting brands who are implementing sustainable and ethical production processes and when I get a creative impulse to try new things I go to vintage shops instead of buying something new. For me, it's more about living in touch with my values of caring for the environment and honouring my unique creative expression. It’s part of a bigger choice to live a values oriented life.
Wearing sustainable brand @id_uk_official
Here are a few of my top tips for making more sustainable fashion choices, I'd love to hear yours too!
- Buying less things and making sure I love them and they’re good quality. The golden question is "Will I wear it more than 10 times?" if not then maybe it's not necessary
- I'm not rigid about only buying second hand or from sustainable brands but I'm especially selective when I do buy things new as I want to cherish them and to get a lot of wear out of them
- When I no longer feel drawn to an item, I’ll gift it or sell it on Depop or Vestaire, I love thanking each piece and sending it off to someone else who can enjoy it in a new way
- If it doesn't sell online then I'll take them to a charity shop, but I do this less often at the moment as a lot of charity shop clothes go to landfill too if they don't sell quickly
- Making the most of the clothes I own - Often using delicate, cold washes and gentle, natural detergent to help my clothes last longer, I bought this 'fabric shaver' which helps revive knitwear and keep it looking new for A LOT longer!
- I love going to events where I can meet other people who are interested in and/or working in sustainable fashion and hear about new brands and what's happening at the forefront of the movement Lone Design Club has great events for this in Europe!